8 limbs, 4.11.24

 

8 Limbs of Yoga
This post was going to be about burnout, and it still kind of is, but I realized that writing about working through burnout (at least for me) requires much more explanation than I originally thought. There is no way I could explain how I manage to work through any obstacle, crisis, struggle, etc. without also writing about the impact that the 8 limbs of yoga (#10 from this post) have had, and continue to have, on my life. The thing is, they help me through so much more than hard times. They help me through all kinds of days, moods, circumstances, etc. - good, bad, and ordinary.
Many people who have not gone through formal yoga training think of yoga as being just about the physical postures. But, once you begin digging into yoga philosophy (especially with fantastic teachers and mentors as I have had) you'll soon find that it is so much more than that. These tools have grounded me in a way that I never thought would be possible. Brief examples of each limb are given above, but I thought I'd share my own understanding and experiences with each one as I move through all of my days. 
Yamas- social ethics. I reflect on this "code" of social ethics in all of my relationships. It reminds me that nothing in this world is all about me. It reminds me to quiet my ego, over and over and over again. It reminds me to treat people the way I would want to be treated. It reminds me to speak in a way that does no harm, but also reminds me to speak my truth.
Niyamas- personal practices. The niyamas remind me to protect my inner and outer world, as it is all connected. They remind me to continually strive toward a minimalist lifestyle by not taking or accumulating more than I need. It reminds me to always try to do better and be better, but at the same time, to surrender to what is, knowing I am enough.
Asana- physical postures. Asana practice is my opportunity to move my body along with my breath. Asana reminds me to connect to myself through movement, meditation and breath. It reminds me to take time to focus only on myself and to, once again, surrender and meet myself where I am.
Pranayama- breath work. Breath work gives me an opportunity to calm my nervous system in times of anxiety or stress. It reminds me that everything I need is inside of me already and my breath will bring me back to that sense of self, if I just slow down enough to listen. As I listen to my breath, it reminds me that I am okay- right here, right now.
Prathyahara- turning inward. Turning inward reminds me of the powerful connection of mind, body and spirit. By tuning into this connection through the energy centers (the chakras) of my body, I come back to a place of stability, no matter what is happening outside of myself. 
Dharana- concentration. Dharana reminds me- Every. Single. Day. - to stop multi-tasking and enjoy the present moment- in the mundane and ordinary moments as well as the extraordinary moments. 
Dhyana-surrendering to what is. Dhyana reminds me to always come back to knowing that I am in everything and everything is in me. It reminds me to come back to knowing that everything that is happening is happening for my higher good and it's okay to let go and be okay with what "is". 
Samadhi- a state of complete bliss. Samadhi reminds me, again, that I am part of everything and everything is a part of me. I'm not sure I will ever reach this state, but I know I can continually strive for this through practice. 
It is all a practice.

Be Still. Be Strong. Be Happy. 
~Juli







https://srisrischoolofyoga.org/na/blog/8-limbs-of-yoga-ashtanga-yoga/

Comments

Popular Posts